Back Pain Relief: Low Back Pain
If you have experienced low back pain either currently or in the past, don’t feel discouraged. You are part of the majority of American people who experience this type of aggravating pain. According to a recent survey by the American Physical Therapy Association, nearly two thirds of Americans have experienced low back pain, and over one third do not seek professional treatment. It seems that many Americans feel nothing can be done to alleviate their aches and pains. The body experiences aches and pain for different reasons.
Some of the more common causes of low back pain include:
- Muscle strain from overuse
- Poor techniques used when lifting
- Traumatic Injury (i.e. auto accidents)
- Lack of strength and conditioning due to inactivity (i.e. sitting too much)
Low back pain typically improves over the course of a few days, but if the symptoms don’t improve or get worse, it is recommended to seek professional help. A thorough Physical Therapy evaluation by a Sportscare Physical Therapist will provide you with a proper course of treatment to alleviate your discomfort and manage your pain.
Once your comprehensive evaluation is completed, typical treatment plans include the following:
- Manual Therapy: Manual Therapy includes soft tissue mobilization for tight or stiff muscles, joint mobilizations, low back adjustment, strain/counter strain techniques and instrument-assisted soft tissue mobilization via the Graston Technique. These interventions are designed to improve soft tissue movement, vertebral joint mobility and reduce muscle spasms.
- Posture and Lifting Mechanics: This involves one-on-one therapist/patient assessment of gross and specific movement patterns with correction, education and proper training, possibly including the use of weights. This is particularly important since many back injuries are due to improper lifting technique.
- Therapeutic Exercise: After first establishing a solid home exercise program, a Sportscare Physical Therapist will implement a specialized exercise program performed in the clinic with the focus on improving lower extremity flexibility, lumbar core stabilization and functional strengthening.
Contact your nearest SportsCare Physical Therapy Clinic to schedule an evaluation by a Sportscare Physical Therapist. They will provide you with a proper course of treatment to alleviate your discomfort and manage your pain.