Mechanical Diagnosis and Therapy (MDT) was developed by New Zealand physiotherapist, Robin McKenzie, as a reliable tool to assess spinal and extremity conditions. Often referred to as the McKenzie Method, this therapy approach uses certain movements to eliminate pain and restore function without the need for medication, surgery or other passive modalities such as ultrasound.
Who is a candidate for Mechanical Diagnosis and Therapy?
If you have any of the following, you should consider seeing a Certified MDT clinician:
- Arthritic pain in the hips, buttocks, shoulder or upper arms
- Difficulty bending due to stiffness or pain in your lower back
- Pain that starts in the back or neck and seems to spread into the buttocks or shoulders
- Intermittent pins and needles or numbness in the feet or hands
- Aching pain into the elbows or knees that has not been assisted by treatment to these areas
How is the McKenzie Method performed?
The assessment begins with a thorough history report noting all current problems and manifestation of symptoms. Next, movement testing is performed consisting of active, passive, repeated and static motions. The response to these movements is monitored to determine what increases, decreases or eliminates symptoms. This information becomes the baseline of treatment. Treatment consists of specific individualized exercises, postural training and behavior modifications which therapists will carefully instruct the patient on. These exercises will be performed both in the clinic and at home in order to increase treatment effectiveness and decrease the number of office visits. This combination will help the patients self-manage their condition, and eventually reduce and eliminate all symptoms. Ongoing prevention is achieved through the continuation of learned treatments. Continuing the exercises and body awareness cues given by the therapist is what ultimately prevents the return of symptoms. Through MDT, patients will gain freedom from pain and will be able to recover to desired functional levels.
Why should I choose MDT?
Mechanical Diagnosis and Therapy is a trusted technique. It not only gives patients better outcomes and the prevention of recurrence, it’s also:
- Backed by years of research and clinical evidence
- Internationally acknowledged and accepted
- High intertester reliability for getting results
- Non-invasive – no drugs or surgery
- Patients become self-sufficient in managing symptoms
- Cost effective – reduces overall visits needed to become pain free
- A method trusted by Fortune 500 companies
If you are suffering from any of the above symptoms or diagnosis’, give Gresham SportsCare a call or request an appointment online. Our certified MDT clinician has appointments available and is ready to help you regain a pain free life.